Richmond, VA – While families, workers, and businesses across the country are in dire need of aid, Democrats continue to block bipartisan legislation to help provide relief, demanding the addition of coastal elite ideals and pipe dreams that have nothing to do with helping Americans. The obstruction and partisanship by Mark Warner, Tim Kaine, Elaine Luria, Bobby Scott, Don McEachin, Abigail Spanberger, Don Beyer, Jennifer Wexton, and Gerry Connolly should be strongly condemned.
Democrats have blocked the coronavirus relief package because the liberals in the Virginia delegation wants to use the bill to advance their radical agenda.
See below for examples of some of the items they have stuffed into their legislation that have nothing to do with coronavirus relief:
- $35 million for the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts
- A climate change mitigation study on civil aviation
- $1 billion “Cash for Clunkers” style program where the government buys garbage planes from airlines
- $100 million for researching sustainable aviation fuels
- A Green New Deal: tax credits for solar and wind energy and a requirement for airlines to offset their carbon emissions
- A mandate for corporations that receive Coronavirus aid to collect diversity data
- Require all public companies to disclose board of director diversity stats
- 32 mentions of “diversity” including a section on “Improving Corporate Governance Through Diversity”
- A federal takeover of elections that would “nationalize election administration and undermine states’ protections for election integrity, ultimately providing assistance to Democratic office-seekers.”
- A provision to protect collective bargaining for federal workers.
- A $15 minimum wage
- A United States Postal Service bail out
- Modified retirement plans for community journalists
- $300 million for the Corporation for Public Broadcasting
- $1 billion for more Obama phones