- This event has passed.
Arlington GOP Mass Meeting – Canceled
March 25, 2020 @ 3:30 pm
Mass Meeting of the Arlington County Members of the Republican Party of Virginia
March 25, 2020 at 7:30 P.M. local time
Swanson Middle School Auditorium, Arlington, VA
As Chairman of the Arlington County Republican Committee (ACRC) and pursuant to the Plan of Organization of the Republican Party of Virginia and as recommended and directed by the Committee, I, Andrew Loposser, do hereby issue this call for a Mass Meeting to be held at the Swanson Middle School auditorium (5800 North Washington St., Arlington, VA 22205) starting at 8:00 P.M. local time on March 25, 2020 (registration is 7:00 P.M. to 8:00 P.M. local time) for the following purposes:
1. Electing a Unit Chairman;
2. Electing up to 120 precinct members of ACRC representing the following precincts up to the number specified for each precinct: Arlington – 2 members, Ashton Heights – 2 members, Aurora Hills – 2 members, Ballston – 2 members, Barcroft – 2 members, Crystal City – 2 members, Cherrydale – 2 members, Hume – 3 members, Columbia – 3 members,
Wilson – 3 members, East Falls Church – 2 members, Fairlington – 3 members, Glen Carlyn – 2 members, Clarendon – 2 members, Lyon Park – 1 member, Lyon Village – 3 members, Overlee Knolls – 3 members, Park Lane – 3 members, Rosslyn – 2 members, Thrifton – 3 members, Virginia Highlands – 2 members, Abingdon – 2 members, Westover – 2 members, Woodlawn – 3 members, Arlington Forest – 2 members, Fillmore – 3 members, Jefferson – 3 members, Claremont – 2 members, Dominion Hills – 2 members, Glebe – 2 members, Lexington – 3 members, Oakridge – 2 members, Rock Spring – 3 members, Yorktown – 3 members, Madison – 4 members, Marshall – 3 members, Nottingham – 3 members, Arlington View – 1 member, Ashlawn – 2 members, Virginia Square – 3 members, Woodbury – 2 members, Shirlington – 2 members, Arlington Mill – 1 member, Dawson Terrace – 1 member, Buckingham – 2 members, Central – 3 members, Four Mile Run – 1 member, Courtlands – 2 members, Monroe – 1 member, Crystal Plaza – 2 members, Taylor – 1 member, Gunston – 2 members, Met Park – 2 members, and Garfield Park – 1 member.
3. Electing up to 36 at-large members of ACRC.
4. Electing up to 365 Delegates and an equal number of Alternates to the District Convention of the 8th Congressional District, to be held on May 30, 2020 at The Waterford at Springfield (6715 Commerce Street; Springfield, VA 22150) beginning at 10:00 A.M. local time for the purpose of 1) electing a District Chairman, 2) nominating a Republican candidate for member of the U.S. House of Representatives to be voted for at the election on Tuesday, November 3, 2020, 3) nominating a Republican candidate for elector for President and Vice-President of the United States to be voted for at the election on Tuesday, November 3, 2020, 4) electing three members of the State Central Committee for a term of four years or until their successors are elected, and 5) electing three delegates and three alternate delegates to the Republican National Convention to be held in Charlotte, North Carolina on August 24-27, 2020.
5. Electing up to 146 Delegates and an equal number of Alternates to the State Convention, to be held on May 1-2, 2020 at Greater Richmond Convention Center (403 North 3rd Street; Richmond, VA 23219), starting at 2:30 P.M. local time on May 1, 2020 and starting at 10:00 A.M. local time on May 2, 2020 for the purpose of 1) binding Virginia Delegates to the 2020 Republican National Convention as to their choice for President on the first ballot by a Presidential Preference Poll, 2) electing 12 At-Large Delegates (“National Delegates”) and 12 At-Large Alternate Delegates (“National Alternates”) to the Republican National Convention to be held on August 24-27, 2020 at the Spectrum Center, Charlotte, NC in (or its alternate site) (the “National Convention”), 3) nominating two Electors At-Large to be voted for in the presidential election on November 3, 2020, 4) electing a State Chairman, and 5) nominating a National Committeeman and National Committeewoman;
and such other business as may properly come before the mass meeting.
Qualifications for Participation
All legal and qualified voters of Arlington County under the laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, regardless of race, religion, national origin or sex, who are in accord with the principles of the Republican Party and who, if requested, express in open meeting either orally or in writing as may be required, their intent to support all of its nominees for public office in the ensuing election, may participate as members of the Republican Party of Virginia participate in this Mass Meeting, subject to the provisions in Article I of the Plan of Organization.
There is no registration fee for Mass Meeting participants.
Each candidate for Unit Chairman must submit a letter of intent to run for the office by U.S. Mail to ACRC (Attn: Nominations Committee; P.O. Box 3081, Arlington, VA 22203), along with a filing fee of $200 (check payable to “ACRC”). The letter of intent must be received not later than 5 P.M. local time on Wednesday, March 11, 2020. Postmarks do not govern.
Unit Committee Members, 8th Congressional District Republican Convention Delegates, and State Republican Convention Delegates
Each candidate for ACRC Member or Convention Delegate must complete and submit the official ACRC Candidate Declaration form. The form may be obtained on the ACRC website home page (www.ArlingtonGOP.org) or upon request to ACRC (phone 703.677.8217, email [email protected]). Completed forms must be received by ACRC by U.S. Mail (Attn: Nominations Committee; P.O. Box 3081, Arlington, VA 22203) by 5 P.M. local time on Monday, March 23, 2020 (postmarks do not govern) or during the ACRC mass meeting registration (7:00 P.M. to 8:00 PM local time) on Wednesday, March 25, 2020 at the Swanson Middle School auditorium (5800 North Washington St., Arlington, VA 22205).
ACRC Members are elected to two-year terms. If the member pays for both years, the filing fee due with the ACRC Candidate Declaration form is $70. If the member pays yearly, the initial filing fee due with the form is $40 with an additional $40 fee due no later than March 1, 2021.
Candidates for 8th Congressional District Republican Convention Delegate who wish to vote for all offices at that Convention must submit a filing fee of $25, which will be transferred to the 8th Congressional District Republican Committee to defray convention costs. The fee is voluntary for those wishing to only participate in the nomination of candidates for public office (U.S. House of Representatives).
Candidates for State Republican Convention (Republican Party of Virginia 2020 Quadrennial Convention) Delegate who wish to vote for all offices at that Convention must submit a registration fee of $35, which will be transferred to the Republican Party of Virginia to defray convention costs. The fee is voluntary for those wishing to only participate in the Presidential Preference Poll.
Candidates for all positions are also requested to submit a voluntary contribution to ACRC to be used for ACRC operations and voter outreach.
Candidates shall make all checks payable to “Arlington County Republican Committee” or “ACRC”.
As permitted by the Republican Party of Virginia Party Plan, ACRC waived by a two-thirds (2/3) vote the Plan’s requirement that this call be published in a newspaper of general circulation in Arlington County.
Military Members as Delegates
Military Members (any members of the Virginia National Guard, or the United States Armed Forces, Merchant Marine, or Coast Guard currently serving on active duty) who comply with these filing requirements shall not be required to be elected, but shall be declared delegates pursuant to Article VIII, Section H. of the Plan of Organization of the Republican Party of Virginia.
Military Member delegates or alternate delegates that are unable to attend the convention in person due to obligations of their official military orders, shall have their votes cast within their unit delegation according to candidate preference ballots. Instructions regarding the casting of candidate preference ballots are available in the Call for the Convention, which is available on the website of the Republican Party of Virginia (https://virginia.gop).
If not more than the number of persons to be nominated or elected shall file for any office, then such properly filed persons shall be declared nominated or elected as the case may be, and no election will occur for that office. Should all elections be cancelled, the Mass Meeting will also be cancelled.
APPROVED by ACRC on February 26, 2020.